Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:43 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Well, new season new players new hope. A highly experienced defender and a couple of very well regarded young Portuguese players - will this be enough to add that extra something to the team and take us to THE NEXT LEVEL. All will be revealed - well perhaps not straight away, I suspect that only Marcel will be considered ready to come in to the team this week. We know Sheff U were a tough nut to crack last season - have they moved forwards too? Certainly a tough starter.

We start from 20th alphabetically so let's hope we can improve on that and enjoy the ride.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:45 am 
Manager
Manager

It will be interesting to see how we line up, given the loss of Jonny and the departure of Doherty. Nuno hasn't had too much time or any friendlies to try out his new signings, formations, etc, so this game is likely to be similar to when we played them at the end of last season, and not much in it. 1-1

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:01 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Excited to see how we lineup. I'm thinking Marcal will play at LWB, and Traore at RWB, providing Nuno doesn't have a trick up his sleeve.

I'd like to see Silva at some point, but feel he will only come on if we're winning comfortably in the 70th minute. Jota, Raul, and Podence to start as the front 3.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

These opening games are hard to predict until teams have got a few games under their belt, mind you, that won`t be long the way the fixture list is looking. At least, we won`t be "blooding" many new players from the start. C`mon boys, let`s put the Blades to the sword!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:47 pm 
Manager
Manager

With no pre-season matches, we have little idea of where the players are in terms of match sharpness. It could be a very low quality game from both sides.

Hopefully we find a way to grind a win out at a ground we don't tend to prosper at.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:39 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Great start - I fell for the 7:45 evening kick off - so only caught the last 30 minutes - mind you Wolves always do better when I am not watching - Utd had pulled up their socks by time I got to watch, but new lad Marcal, looked like he had played there for years, not his first game. Looking forward to seeing more of the other 2 new lads, so pleased Jiminez has his spark back, and now if only Jota can come good - might be a better yr than last!

Would love to see us finish above Spurs and Everton this season, but I think our new lads will have to settle quickly if we are to improve on 7th.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

With their direct, powerful play, the Blunts will turnover all the mediocre teams and scare the bejaysus out of the spoilt brats at the top. We just outplayed them in every department. And I liked the new shirt !!! What a night.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

It was the poor quality game I expected given the pre-season conditions. A lot of huff and puff and time with the ball in the air.

A superb start was thankfully enough for us, but we can't seriously expect to play Traore at wing-back for any extended period. Even the next PL game looks a game too far to deploy him there. Moutinho looked a lot better for the (short) break though.

Introducing Mr Jeff Shi – Executive chairman, board member, acting managing director, acting sporting director, unofficial deputy to Raul Jimenez in the striker department and confirmed Banks's drinker

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

Traore is not a wing back. They saw our weak link and looked to exploit it second half. Thankfully, Nuno saw this too and bought on Burr and switched Traore and we looked better defensively from there on. I thought Saiss and ( inevitable ) Jiminez were our stand out players. Ultimately a great result!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:47 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

I thought we showed some excellent touches - very neat in midfield especially first half.

Stunning first goal, and magnificent second.

Saiss man of match for me. Did absolutely everything - tackled, headed, intercepted, passed beautifully (especially one down line - hit with incredible accuracy) and headed one off line AND his superb goal - and should have had second (and possibly 3rd....)

Thought many players looked better for the rest. Especially Moutinho, Jimenez, Saiss....

We looked a class unit. Blades are big and ugly. Lots of nasty 'accidental' fouls (accidental elbow in Moutinho face by guy already booked, accidental stamp on Jimenez(?) achilles by guy already booked...) They are going to be very tough for many to deal with.

Great victory! What a start! (And well done Traore - apart from one dreadful pass back to Boly, and dodgy throw-ins....). Good to see Nuno put faith in young Burr with 20 minutes to go, and also Vitinha (only last 10). It gives the guys CONFIDENCE.

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

Yep Silver, Wilder had obviously instructed his team to go out and rough us up. That said, I thought our defence stood firm and coped with what ever the Blades threw at us. All in all, a good night's work, and 3 points away to a tough opponent.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:03 am 
Manager
Manager

Saiss had his best game ever for us, outstanding. Thought we conceded the initiative to them second half as they exploited the space behind Traore. A few wobbles on the ropes but a deserved if unspectacular win. The two early goals knocked the stuffing out of the Blades. Competent and professional performance.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:25 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Well we can't complain too much about that, but that won't stop me.

I wish we'd put teams away. Once we go ahead in a game we seem to retreat into our shells and invite teams onto us. I don't think Sheff Utd changed their game that much after going two down. It was more our change of mentality that let them dominate for large periods. I think this would be a dangerous ploy against better teams.

It was a good win, but you can't help feeling it should have been even more comfortable.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:17 pm 
Manager
Manager

lankywolf wrote:

I wish we'd put teams away. Once we go ahead in a game we seem to retreat into our shells and invite teams onto us. I don't think Sheff Utd changed their game that much after going two down. It was more our change of mentality that let them dominate for large periods. I think this would be a dangerous ploy against better teams.

It was a good win, but you can't help feeling it should have been even more comfortable.

It's a Nuno thing, remember that he is a defensive coach. Had that shot that smacked the post, gone in, we would have struggled to hold on. We were giving the ball away too often and our Midfield doesn't offer the strength to hold the ball up, so we rely on counter-attacking speed. To be fair, we missed a sitter to make it 3-0 but we needed to be more offensive in the 2nd half. I guess Man City next up suits us better.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:45 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

lankywolf wrote:

I have to disagree with you there. I thought we managed the game perfectly in the 2nd half. If we go balls to the wall for 90 mins every game, we'd tire quickly. Beating teams early, and seeing the game off is how titles are won.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:29 pm 
Manager
Manager

I think that`s Nuno`s strategy. All about conserving energy once we have the lead, rely on counter attacks. Dangerous game though.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:32 pm 
Manager
Manager

desiwulf wrote:
I think that`s Nuno`s strategy. All about conserving energy once we have the lead, rely on counter attacks. Dangerous game though.

It was was said on Molineux Shite by a Portugeezer who started following Wolves when we hired Nuno that we won’t concede many goals but we won’t score many either. That observation has proved to be correct.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies