Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Share On:

Post subject: Re: Corona
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54228649

An interesting read.

When the BBC finally start to get it, and the government still don't, there is something very wrong going on in the corridors of power.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

I think messrs Valance & Whitty have a differnt opinion to the BBC's 'Health correspondent', and I know who I'd rather listen to if its all the same.

The government have to take responsibility for their decisions, some hack doesn't -and I include some of the less qualified 'experts' they have on who support their arguements in that critique.

Lets get winter over before we judge.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

davejonesears wrote:
I think messrs Valance & Whitty have a differnt opinion to the BBC's 'Health correspondent', and I know who I'd rather listen to if its all the same.

The government have to take responsibility for their decisions, some hack doesn't -and I include some of the less qualified 'experts' they have on who support their arguements in that critique.

There are now heavily vested interests both professionally and financially never mind politically in the Government's experts opinions. They and Boris have gone too far to admit they may have miscalculated in the first place. Sad days ahead, particularly if you get sick with anything other than Covid in the coming months.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
davejonesears wrote:

There are now heavily vested interests both professionally and financially never mind politically in the Government's experts opinions. They and Boris have gone too far to admit they may have miscalculated in the first place. Sad days ahead, particularly if you get sick with anything other than Covid in the coming months.

You could say that about any 'expert opinion' I still maintain Id rather listen to them than a Sociologist or a GP ...neither are really experts are they but they get air time and spout inacurracies without challenge such as the GP who stated 20k deaths from flu every year to enable him to compsare it to COVID:
1) theres not 20K flu deaths every winter average is 8k.
2) He doesnt even know what the predicted death rate for COVID will be this winter, it was 40k in the summer.. but he was afforded air time to make those statements without challenge.

when you say they miscalculated , do you mean the 500k deaths predicted...from the Imperial college guy who was sacked?

Dying from anything that has a chance of being preventable is sad, & that includes COVID. this does not excuse not taking measures to prevent it from happening.

They have had ample time to sort Test & Trace.
Ample time to consider how best to keep COVID under some modicum of control whilst allowing other health conditions to be treated.
Ample time to sort process & PPE for NHS & care homes out.

They haven't done so, & that is a failing , but it does not preclude any attempt to control the spread of the virus- again.

As we as a society have had ample time to accept contraints, masks, social distancing , hygeine, self isoltaion , we havent done so , so we have to accept our share of the blame.

I'm not sure what the answer is tbh, I think the government could have done better sorting supporting infrastructure out, & their messaging should have been more consistent.

I also think a sgnificant number of the public have ignored the advice they have been given , to suit their own needs , or because they obviously know better , or they know its really a world wide conspirancy to control us all...by wrecking the economy :roll:

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

The average age of the poor souls that die from Covid is 80+. Will lowering the curfew from 23:00 to 22:00 keep those wild pennsioners in check? Will the average 85 year old be concerned about threats to make him/her work from home?

We are still not acknowledging who is at risk, and who is not. Idiocy.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
The average age of the poor souls that die from Covid is 80+. Will lowering the curfew from 23:00 to 22:00 keep those wild pennsioners in check? Will the average 85 year old be concerned about threats to make him/her work from home?

Where is that figure from & what average is it refering to - that seems an awfully high age to be an meaningful average?

Ive seen figures that state how likely you are to die from it if infected in a particular age range and also some age grouped fatality figures from New York on Worldometer , but couldnt see an average for this country?

But yes trying to implement risk adverse processes for at risk groups I still don't think has been done -other than ...Dont Kill Granny ..which in essence is ,of course, correct, but could do with some context .

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

The government told us all to go out and help the restaurant and cafe industries by using the Rishi half price offer. They did so in large numbers...and two to three weeks later, infections are up...hmmm, I wonder why...???

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
The government told us all to go out and help the restaurant and cafe industries by using the Rishi half price offer. They did so in large numbers...and two to three weeks later, infections are up...hmmm, I wonder why...???

yep it just doesn't make sense does it - same with Workng From Home being now back on, wheras 3 weeks ago the push was to get people back into the office

The mesaaging does seem inconsistent- it seems to me its all about the money for both of those scenarios.

My main concern is that as far as I am aware the Rule of Six still stands & in England that means kids are included , but multiple households are allowed.

This follows an inference from the scientists that households mixing was the main cause of transmissions.

This multiple household ruling in England simply beggars belief for me.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

Walking around my local Old Town Gardens Park yesterday evening, I counted 15 people in a large circle, four adults with eleven toddlers dressed in light blue uniforms....rule of six.....I'm totally confused.com........

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

davejonesears wrote:
suiging wrote:

Where is that figure from & what average is it refering to - that seems an awfully high age to be an meaningful average?

Ive seen figures that state how likely you are to die from it if infected in a particular age range and also some age grouped fatality figures from New York on Worldometer , but couldnt see an average for this country?

But yes trying to implement risk adverse processes for at risk groups I still don't think has been done -other than ...Dont Kill Granny ..which in essence is ,of course, correct, but could do with some context .

Interesting: The figure I quoted was from a Spectator article, hardly authoritative, so I thought I'd dig a little. According to Scottish Government figures, the average age of death with covid on the old hymn sheet, is 81 years of age for women, and 85 years for men ( we die earlier to get away from the women). But try as I might, the UK government doesn't want to give out that figure. I wonder why?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:08 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

suiging wrote:
davejonesears wrote:
suiging wrote:

Interesting: The figure I quoted was from a Spectator article, hardly authoritative, so I thought I'd dig a little. According to Scottish Government figures, the average age of death with covid on the old hymn sheet, is 81 years of age for women, and 85 years for men ( we die earlier to get away from the women). But try as I might, the UK government doesn't want to give out that figure. I wonder why?

The ONS produced this at 11 September and it includes death by gender and age group:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... 2052%2C482).

The raw data for that chart is :

Male Female
Under 1 year 2 0
1 to 14 years 2 2
15 to 44 years 348 226
45 to 64 years 3301 1727
65 to 74 years 5004 2741
75 to 84 years 10071 6911
85 years and over 10155 11992

This means that 22147 out of 52482 are 85 and over - 42% and 16982 out of 52482 are 75-84 -32%

The median average no would be 26241 so if about a quarter of those in the 75-84 group were 80+ it is reasonable to say that the average age of death is over 80.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

They do make it 'interesting' to get to the figure don't they?
There are many other stats around the subject, including those with one or more underlying causes that sadly pass, and those of age who callously, but realistically, would die anyway in the time frame with or without the disease.

A lot of smoke and mirrors out there.

Edited to add eleven plus million kids go back to school and the infection figures rise. No shit Sherlock

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

https://lockdownsceptics.org/lies-damne ... __zaz7E0L0

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
The ONS produced this at 11 September and it includes death by gender and age group:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... 2052%2C482).

The raw data for that chart is :

Male Female
Under 1 year 2 0
1 to 14 years 2 2
15 to 44 years 348 226
45 to 64 years 3301 1727
65 to 74 years 5004 2741
75 to 84 years 10071 6911
85 years and over 10155 11992

This means that 22147 out of 52482 are 85 and over - 42% and 16982 out of 52482 are 75-84 -32%

The median average no would be 26241 so if about a quarter of those in the 75-84 group were 80+ it is reasonable to say that the average age of death is over 80.

ok so you are using median as the average in this instance , seems fair enough, even a mean average would be higher than I imagined, which is interesting.

I agree we shoud be trying to protect the older age groups, as long as they want it of course, and care homes & hsopitals. and schools need to have some better processes regards tests & testing.

However we should all follow the government guidlines, and there should be stronger enforcement.
I get tired of reading/hearing about how people 'bend the rules' just so they can excuse themselves in their own heads (I dont give a fuck that Cummings did it - if he jumped off a cliff I wouldnt).

I also get tired of those who "no man tells me what to do - I'm my own man, its my british given right " ...as if it makes 'em, more well British- fuckwits all.

I also think we should all download the Track & Trace app...every little helps.
Im sure the government don't give a fuck where I go , and tbh I dont gve a fuck if they do know.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you..

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
https://lockdownsceptics.org/lies-damned-lies-and-health-statistics-the-deadly-danger-of-false-positives/?fbclid=IwAR3qI-EeMiTS31XCoG0_tf28PMygesRN68lgFRbQkcczYSBrN__zaz7E0L0

False positives (and false negatives ) are interesting, Ive been trying to read up on this I need to get my head round the statistics and the article a little more but what stood out for me was the following comment:

"My co-authors & I will submit it to the normal rigours of peer review, but that process is slow and many pieces of new science this year have come to attention through pre-print servers and other less conventional outlets."

Now I'd be more inclined to accept if he had said:

"My co-authors & I HAVE submitted it to the normal rigours of peer review" and provided the evidence of such.

Also he mentions epidemics/pandemics and includes AIDS MERS SARS , etc, in the 'list' ...AIDS was not an easily transfered 'virus' at all , and wasn't a pandemic by any stretch of the imagination. MERS & SARS hardly impacted us at all, unlike asia whcih is why they were ahead of the curve for COVID.

He seems to make some good points , and some tenuous ones-and some which are justy hyperbole with no actual facts.
Ive read better articles about the PCR test however on the whole I'm a little sceptical bout him.

Edited to add:

OK I have a question here - let me get it down whilst its in my head.

He says there have been (at least) 44,00 detahs from COVID.
He also says the False positives are 10x the actual rate - and earlier ih the summer that was 20x ?

Now is it just me or is that worrying ..if 90% of people who the test says has COVID havent ...and the deaths are a specific number therefore:

1)Theres more people who can get it.
2)The fatality rate is skewed lower than what it should be ?

However ..I read his letter to Matt Hancock , and I have to say I agree with the concerns about long term effect of a vaccine , as we have ,as far as I am aware, no capabilty to extrapolate(?) long term impacts of the vaccine.

I'd like to know how they will address that, without having to wait 12 -24 months.
I'd like to see that discussed openly , how do they address that with the FLU vaccine for example which is new every year (I think).
They can't address anyones concens by merely ensuring companies can't get sued- it doesn't work that way.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:29 am 
Manager
Manager

This thing is new. The 'experts' have flipped more than Boris has turned over girlfriends. No one knows the true picture, you really can only go on what's in front of you. The article is posted for a different expert's view. He may be as wrong as the ones the government listens too, but he IS an expert virologist and there is a body of them who have a view that is similar to that in Sweden, and for whatever reason, they are being completely ignored by the PM ( but it appears some of his Ministers are beginning to have 'questions')

Some supporters of the hysterical approach, can't help but beam at the thought that Sweden may be considering a more draconian, local approach in some of their cities. They brush over, the fact that they have kept their economy going until now, and their 'Sick with anything other than Covid' patients, have not died from neglect.

This country is a bloody nosed, fighting, Island race. We used to be able to look out from our Island's and take the best from the world, and adapt it to fight our wars, and win. Not now. The only thing that seems to be causing 'hand wringing' on the radio this AM is students may miss out on going on the piss, and how they might feel a bit isolated, missing out on the sacred 'experience'. Perhaps the students should talk to my dear old Dad. 94, WW2 veteran, wife dead for 13 years, and forced into isolation in the twilight of his years to ensure the continuance of Freshers Week. How the mighty have fallen.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:53 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
This thing is new. The 'experts' have flipped more than Boris has turned over girlfriends. No one knows the true picture, you really can only go on what's in front of you. The article is posted for a different expert's view. He may be as wrong as the ones the government listens too, but he IS an expert virologist and there is a body of them who have a view that is similar to that in Sweden, and for whatever reason, they are being completely ignored by the PM ( but it appears some of his Ministers are beginning to have 'questions')

Where did it say he was an expert virologist ?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:58 pm 
Manager
Manager

I hope we have all downloaded the NHS app, and enabled tracking.

https://www.covid19.nhs.uk/

of course if "no one can tell you what to do" , or you are simply paranoid then you don't have to.
In that case Tesco's have plenty of tin foil so you can make yourself an hat...well until the idiots cause a shortage of that as well.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:58 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

davejonesears wrote:

of course if "no one can tell you what to do" , or you are simply paranoid then you don't have to.
In that case Tesco's have plenty of tin foil so you can make yourself an hat...well until the idiots cause a shortage of that as well.

I've downloaded it but I will have to see what value it has for me. Other than my wife and son who I live with and would know if they became symptomatic or tested positive, I'm pretty confident I have not been within 2 metre range of anyone for 15 minutes since early August. That was the last time we went out for a meal with friends. Since then, I have been for walks and only passed people briefly, I have been shopping but continually moving around and never close to anyone else for any length of time, and I have filled up with petrol which only takes a few minutes. If i have caught it from any of those activities the app won't tell me anyway.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
davejonesears wrote:

I've downloaded it but I will have to see what value it has for me. Other than my wife and son who I live with and would know if they became symptomatic or tested positive, I'm pretty confident I have not been within 2 metre range of anyone for 15 minutes since early August. That was the last time we went out for a meal with friends. Since then, I have been for walks and only passed people briefly, I have been shopping but continually moving around and never close to anyone else for any length of time, and I have filled up with petrol which only takes a few minutes. If i have caught it from any of those activities the app won't tell me anyway.

So therss no issue with you downloading it then.?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

Last edited by davejonesears on Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:18 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

davejonesears wrote:
[

Not from me. If they get any thrills from tracking my life perhaps they can let me in on them.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:30 am 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
davejonesears wrote:
[

Not from me. If they get any thrills from tracking my life perhaps they can let me in on them.

same here - I wish there were tbh :)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:33 am 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
davejonesears wrote:
[

I have a Chinese wife, scared to go on her own to the shops as thugs have thrown stones at her. I have a physically and mentally handicapped son totally dependant, and a 94 year old Dad with no other living relatives ( i this country ). I did download the App. I haven't been in a pub or restaurant since March, and apart from doing Dad's shopping and walking with the lad, the weekly shop is when I go out. I really shouldn't be at great risk, but felt all should do it. Then I read about the false positives in the system. If I'm told to isolate, my extended family would suffer for 14 days plus, as muggins here is shopper, driver, etc etc.

I deleted the App. Selfish for sure, but I felt I had little choice. As soon as it's got over the initial hurdles of false positives and literally hundreds of wrong messages sent out. I will be straight back on it. Until then ?..... No.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

Just when you thought public confidence in our esteemed elected members of Parliament , could get no lower...words fail me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54379026

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:16 am 
Manager
Manager

davejonesears wrote:
Just when you thought public confidence in our esteemed elected members of Parliament , could get no lower...words fail me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54379026

Ah but it's the English to blame. If they had independence she could stand in food-bank queues in Scotland. No need to come 'sarf' on the train.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

So cases in England have increased rapidly in the last six weeks then , brings a new meaning to The Rule of Six doesn't it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54477618

The difference in that ruling introduced early September acroos the UK where only in England up to SIX different households can meet ,has nothing to do with it then?

I posted a few weeks ago questioning where we were , and what he needed to be judged on.

I see no improvement in many aspects of his handling of this, Test and Trace being the major concern for me as that underpins everything else, and I now add the Eat Out To Help Out & Rule of Six mantras to this (not retrospectly either).

Im my opinion Johnson is an idiot , a blusterer , a busted flush, his messaging has consistently been ambiguous, confusing and even downright illogical.

I have very little (if any) confidence in him.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:54 am 
Manager
Manager

I am wondering if they are aiming at herd immunity via sleight of hand.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:38 am 
Manager
Manager

desiwulf wrote:
I am wondering if they are aiming at herd immunity via sleight of hand.

Scotland had far more draconian lockdown measures than England and its infection rate is now far higher. I'm really not seeing the 'lockdown works' evidence in these figures. Sweden's figures for infection are on the rise, ( not anywhere near ours ) but they knew that would happen, as they understand the virus is now endemic across the world, but have learned to respect it, and live with it. Where would you rather be now? Sweden with its liberal regime, or bonny Scotland ? Which place is more likely to see you infected? In which place are you likely to get a cancerous growth removed, on time, before it kills you ?

The "Me" generation expects spoon feeding and protection on an individual basis from cradle to the grave. Sadly they are learning/about to learn, Mother Nature doesn't give a rat's ass for diversity, women's rights, or the rights of an eleven year old, to have his bits chopped off because someone on the telly encourages him to be a girl. Nature has her way ( Her? How dare she) of culling the herd, long before the herd is immune. No amount of kaftan wearing, or Guardian subscriptions will change that fact.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

I see the Northern Mayors are making a stand - further politicising this issue.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54492682

I suggest they concentrate more of their efforts on making sure the current regulations are followed , rather than trying to divert attention from their failures.

At the end of the end of the day we will all be paying for this assistance, people love to take the pay without accepting responsibilty.

Another example of the devolution of powers creating the opportunity for teflon shoulders amongst all.

It seems we are hell bent on trying to create an Americianised political system - Started by Blair ,and continued now by Johnson...and we can see how well that works over there can't we.

I hope Johnson tells em to fuck off tbh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand